Who uses alcohol
and/or other drugs?
Alcohol and/or other drugs (both legal and illegal) are widely used in Australia, including by members of the LGBTI communities.
The National Drug Strategy Household Survey (2016) found that the use of illicit drugs in the last 12 months, daily smoking and risky drinking were far more common among people who identified as being homosexual or bisexual than people who identified as being heterosexual.
Many people do not see alcohol and/or other drug use as a problem in itself. However it’s important to remember that there are risks attached to the use of any drug.
Also in this section…
- Is this information for me?
- How do I know if alcohol and/or other drugs are an issue or not?
- Caring for yourself while you are caring for someone else
- Supporting someone who has issues with alcohol and/or other drugs
- Is it about alcohol and/or other drug use or about mental health?
- Tips for finding a service that understands our community
- What services are available?